We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
One of the most beloved and common fruits - apples - usually appear in the fall. But some of their varieties, being early, ripen at the height of summer. The most famous of the early varieties is "White Bulk" or a white apple. Its name is due to the color of ivory, which is painted.
The tree on which these white apples grow rises up to 5 meters. The size of the fruits is different: on young trees they are larger, on adults - the fruits grow densely, but they are smaller.
The shape of the tree’s crown varies with age from pyramidal to round. The bark is light gray. Rounded medium-sized leaves of this variety of apple trees have an edge at the bottom. The tree, on which white apples grow, blooms with beautiful pink flowers. The bulk apples on the sunny side have bright, ruddy sides. The fruits of a young apple tree weigh, sometimes, 150 g, and an adult - half as much. The peel of white apples is delicate, thin. Pulp - tender, white, loose, coarse-grained. The taste of apples of this variety is sweet and sour.
The apple tree bears fruit regularly, starting from 4-5 years old and up to 45 years old.
In many sources, the description of the variety “White filling” is also called “Papirovka”, although this variety comes from the Baltic countries, and “White filling” is an original Russian variety originating from the Middle Volga region.
Chemical composition, benefits and harms
The composition of white apples: pectin - 10%, sugars - 9%, ascorbic acid - 21.8 mg per 100 g.
Vitamin C, which gives the fruits a slight acidity, strengthens the immune system and helps the body fight infection and viruses. Also, these apples contain fiber, which helps to eliminate "bad" cholesterol from the body. It also helps in the fight against constipation, reducing the risk of getting bowel cancer.
Pectins remove excess cholesterol and toxins from the liver. The antioxidant quercetin contained in the peel of this apple variety resists the effects of free radicals, which are constant companions of stress that accelerate the aging of the body.
These apples should not be enjoyed by those who have gastrointestinal diseases - ulcers, gastritis with high acidity and various types of colitis.
There are several ways to plant apple trees of this variety:
- From the seeds. First, the seeds are soaked, stratified for 1.5-2 months in a refrigerator or cellar. Hatching grains are transplanted into separate containers.
- Washed seeds are planted in the garden at the end of summer. Until spring, having swollen, they manage to take root, and undergo hardening in winter. By mid-spring, they are already emerging. They are transplanted into a spacious pot of land from the garden. Below - drainage and soil with additives of sand and peat.
- Seeds in peat pots with a nutritious mixture are planted in the garden under snow, protecting them from rodents with a layer of fir branches. In spring, the seedlings that have sprouted are transplanted to their intended place.
Planting seedlings of apple trees of the described variety is carried out according to the following algorithm:
- at the beginning of May, when the ground warmed up enough, a 45 by 45 cm pit was dug in a fairly lighted place;
- land enriched with peat, ash, humus is brought to its bottom. Excess soil acidity is quenched with lime. Sand is added to clay soil;
- a sapling with straightened roots is placed in a hole and covered with earth;
- the root neck should be above ground level;
- the distance between apple trees and other plants cannot be less than 4 meters.
Trees grown from seed need to be replanted before planting in a permanent place. This happens only for 2-3 years. Seedlings are not worth transplanting without extreme need.
We suggest that you familiarize yourself with the technology of self-growing apple seedlings in more detail by reading the corresponding article on our resource.
Apple-tree "White filling": cultivation
The description of apple care for this variety differs little from the general rules, but there are some nuances in their agricultural technology:
- Watering is regular without overfilling the tree. It is convenient to mark the boundary of the roots by driving pegs in a circle. Next to them, dig a groove for drainage.
- Loosening the soil and weeding are measures that provide the roots with moisture and oxygen.
- Fertilizing the soil is carried out during the planting of a seedling, the next top dressing is needed only after a year. For this, phosphoric and potassium fertilizers are used.
- In the spring, old branches are cut, young trees need pruning to form crowns and prevent disease. At the same time, trees of the White Bulk variety are treated with insecticides.
- Before winter, the soil under the trees is mulched with branches, sawdust, etc.
- For the appearance of white apples, trees need pollinators, which must grow in the neighborhood. Suitable are those varieties of apple trees that bloom and bear fruit at the same time as the White Bulk - Anis, Grushovka, Manet, etc.
- An overabundance of apples depletes the tree and leads to irregular fruiting. Therefore, you need to thin out the ovaries of apples, removing the central primordium from each bunch.
- You can protect the trunk from rodents by whitewashing, special paint or wrapping it with a fir tree.
The adult fruiting tree is fertilized in stages:
- in the middle of spring - in the first feeding - this is half a kilogram of urea or 6 buckets of humus;
- before flowering - the second top dressing - make liquid humus;
- the third top dressing occurs during the fruit setting period. A solution of nitrophosphate (1: 200) is added under the trees with a little sodium humate added;
- after collecting white apples, the trees feed 350 g of potash fertilizers and superphosphate, diluting them in water.
Harvesting and storage
A white apple is harvested twice - at the beginning and in the second half of August. This variety, very sensitive to damage and shock, is stored for no more than 20 days. Apples are not transported over long distances, but are processed immediately.
Salads, juices, wines, compotes are made from white apples, they are canned. They are widely used in bakery fillings, in desserts. Jam, preserves, soaked apples are harvested for future use.
Selection on the basis of "White filling"
The described variety, having winter hardiness, high productivity, is not suitable for storage. At the same time, a ripened crop is difficult to quickly harvest without loss. Therefore, this variety was used for breeding of the Uralskoye Bulk variety by crossbreeding with the Ranet variety. The resulting variety is winter-hardy, it is grown in the Urals, in Kazakhstan, in the north and the Far East. Green apples are small, on their side they have a pink blush. The variety is very productive, and pink apples are stored for 2-3 months.
"Ural bulk" is an autumn variety of apples. The description of the rules for caring for this apple tree indicates that this variety is not picky. Gardeners love the "Ural" apple for its sweet taste, juiciness, unpretentiousness, frost resistance, fecundity and extensive regionalization.
White Bulk: Harvesting
The cultivation of "White filling" - an early white apple - is a long and troublesome process. But the pleasure of these healthy, tasty and fragrant apples is worth the effort.