The useful properties of cilantro are in demand in medicine, home cosmetology and cooking. Before using a valuable plant, you need to familiarize yourself with its composition, features and possible harm.
Chemical composition of cilantro (coriander)
The use of coriander seasoning in traditional medicine is due to the valuable composition of the product. The plant contains carbohydrates and amino acids, rutin and pectins, essential oils. Alkaloids are also present in green parts and roots, in particular, because of them, cilantro cannot be consumed in large quantities.
What vitamins are contained in cilantro
Fresh and dried coriander is very rich in vitamins. It includes:
- vitamin C;
- vitamins B1-B3, as well as B6 and B9;
- vitamins A and PP.
The seeds, leaves and roots of healthy coriander contain a fairly rare vitamin K, which is responsible for blood clotting.
Macro and microelements
The healing properties of coriander are due to the minerals in its composition. The plant contains:
- sulfur and chlorine;
- iodine and boron;
- calcium and phosphorus.
Attention! Especially useful coriander is appreciated for the large amount of silicon in the composition. From 100 g of the product, you can get almost three daily values of the element.
Cilantro contains rare rubidium and vanadium in fairly high volumes
How many calories are in cilantro
The energy value of coriander is very low - only 23 calories per 100 g. The largest volume of 2.1 g is occupied by proteins, another 0.9 g and 0.5 g, respectively, are accounted for by carbohydrates and fats.
The benefits of cilantro for the human body
Even with minimal, but regular use, healthy coriander has a very beneficial effect on the human body. Specifically, the seasoning:
- helps to eliminate toxins and toxins from tissues;
- lowers blood sugar and helps with diabetes;
- evens out the hormonal background;
- improves appetite;
- eliminates edema and normalizes kidney function;
- stimulates intestinal peristalsis and helps with constipation;
- improves the functioning of the nervous system and increases tone.
Healthy coriander fights inflammation and has a mild pain relieving effect. You can use the seasoning for quick healing of microtraumas of the mucous membranes.
The benefits of cilantro (coriander) for a woman's body
The benefits and harms of cilantro for a woman's body lie in the effect of the seasoning on the reproductive system. Coriander relieves discomfort during painful periods, normalizes the volume of secretions and helps to regulate the cycle. It is possible to take decoctions and teas based on the plant during menopause, cilantro will improve hormonal levels and reduce the frequency of hot flashes.
It is recommended to consume the seasoning for weight loss. Cilantro speeds up metabolism and promotes the rapid breakdown of fats. Also, coriander is beneficial for stress and insomnia, relieves headaches and blues. During pregnancy, seasoning is consumed only with the permission of a doctor and at a later date, and during breastfeeding, it is better to refuse cilantro altogether.
The health benefits of cilantro for men
Cilantro helps men to strengthen the cardiovascular system and prevent myocardial disease. You can use the seasoning to prevent impotence - coriander accelerates blood circulation in the pelvis and increases libido. Useful decoctions and infusions of the plant improve the health of prostatitis and relieve inflammation.
Coriander protects men from malignant tumors of the genitourinary system
Useful properties of cilantro (coriander) seeds and contraindications
The benefits of coriander seeds for the human body are the anti-inflammatory and strengthening properties of the seasoning. Spicy grains stimulate immunity and improve blood composition, normalize metabolism and speed up digestion.
At the same time, the benefits and harms of coriander seasoning for the body are closely related to each other. In particular, it is recommended to refuse seeds:
- with individual allergies;
- with exacerbations of pancreatitis and stomach ulcers;
- with hypertension in severe form;
- with ischemic disease;
- with thrombophlebitis.
It is necessary to consume cilantro seeds and products based on them in minimal dosages. If the permissible volume is exceeded, useful coriander can cause insomnia and increased excitability, as well as provoke metabolic disorders and interruptions in the work of the heart.
The benefits of cilantro broth
You can take coriander not only with food, but also in the form of a useful broth. Healing drink:
- helps with constipation;
- eliminates bad breath;
- improves the condition of the gums in dental diseases;
- helps to cope with the inflammatory processes of the genitourinary system.
You can use a useful decoction of coriander for bronchitis and sore throat. Outwardly, the agent is used to treat cuts.
The benefits and harms of cilantro juice
The maximum amount of vitamins and organic acids is contained in fresh cilantro juice that has not been heat-treated. The extract of useful coriander is used:
- with toothache and stomatitis;
- with tonsillitis and bleeding gums;
- to cleanse the liver.
Coriander juice has a strong beneficial effect on the skin. The squeeze can be used to treat ulcers, suppurations and wounds.
Coriander juice is used in home cosmetic masks to slow down the aging process
How to take cilantro (coriander) medicinally
Coriander is beneficial even when consumed as food. But to achieve a quick therapeutic effect, it is recommended to prepare special formulations.
With insomnia, a strong tincture of healthy coriander brings a good effect. They make it according to this recipe:
- Place in a glass vessel 30 g of dry seeds and crushed leaves of the plant.
- Pour 110 ml of quality vodka.
- When closed, they are placed in a dark place for two weeks.
- Pass the finished composition through cheesecloth.
It is necessary to use the tincture 50 drops three times a day for ten days. Healthy coriander will help normalize sleep and help relieve anxiety and depression.
Coriander increases blood clotting and helps to cope with exacerbations of hemorrhoids. Traditional medicine suggests preparing the following collection:
- About 50 g of dry coriander leaves are mixed with equal amounts of yarrow and licorice root.
- Components are crushed to a powder state.
- Pour into a thermos 15 g of the resulting mixture.
- Brew with a glass of boiling water and leave to cool completely.
A filtered, useful infusion is taken in 10 ml on an empty stomach, shortly before bedtime. You need to continue treatment from two weeks to three months, depending on how you feel.
Coriander has good anti-inflammatory and expectorant properties. you can use it with a dry cough to improve sputum discharge. A useful tool is done like this:
- Put 15 g of chopped fresh leaves in a thermos.
- Pour raw materials with 250 ml of boiling water.
- Leave under the lid for an hour.
- Filter from sediment.
A warm, healthy infusion of coriander is taken 150-200 ml three times a day.
To improve the taste, honey and a lemon wedge can be added to the coriander medicine.
In case of gastrointestinal tract disorder
Healthy coriander treats a wide variety of digestive disorders. The seasoning is used for constipation and increased gas production, for colic and inflammatory processes. A universal healing broth is prepared according to the following scheme:
- Pour 10 g of cilantro seeds with a glass of clean water.
- Bring to a boil and heat over low heat for six minutes.
- They are removed from the stove and kept closed for another hour.
- Strain through a layer of folded gauze.
It is necessary to drink a useful remedy for gastrointestinal disorders, 50 ml three times a day on an empty stomach. In total, therapy is continued for no more than five days.
Advice! You can drink a decoction of coriander seeds with cystitis. In this case, a single dosage is increased to 1/2 cup, and the duration of admission is up to ten days.
The use of ground coriander is that the seasoning helps to remove parasites from the intestines and enhances the medicinal effect of pharmaceutical preparations. For worms, traditional medicine recommends this remedy:
- The coriander seeds are loaded into a coffee grinder in a volume of 15 g.
- They transform raw materials into a homogeneous fine powder.
- Dilute in a glass of warm water and leave for half an hour.
A useful remedy, together with the sediment, is consumed shortly before meals three times a day. The powder can also be taken dry with water, although this method is less convenient.
From diseases of the oral cavity
The healing properties of cilantro herb quickly relieve inflammation in the oral cavity. The plant has an analgesic effect against caries and periodontal disease, helps to eliminate microorganisms on the mucous membranes and removes bad breath. The remedy is done like this:
- Fresh grass of a plant is chopped in a volume of 5 g.
- Pour raw materials with 500 ml of hot water.
- Place on fire and boil for ten minutes.
- After the expiration date, cool and filter.
Useful means to rinse your mouth 4-5 times a day.
Before using for rinsing, the coriander broth must be heated to a warm temperature.
For wounds and cuts
Useful coriander can be used externally to heal skin lesions. For wounds, abrasions and ulcers, prepare the following infusion:
- Finely chop fresh herbs of a spicy plant in the amount of 10 g.
- In a deep bowl, pour the raw material with 500 ml of boiling water.
- Cover and leave for a day.
- Filter over time.
In the finished infusion, moisten a cotton pad or clean cloth and wipe the affected skin up to five times a day. You can also put compresses on problem areas.
Healthy coriander seeds are good for soothing heartburn and help relieve heaviness in the stomach and belching after eating. Traditional medicine advises this infusion:
- About 10 g of coriander seeds are poured into a glass of boiling water.
- Kept closed for about 20 minutes.
- After the expiration of the period, the precipitate is filtered off.
You need to take a useful infusion on a full stomach twice a day, 250 ml.
Healthy coriander helps relieve frequent headaches. A good effect is given by such a remedy:
- Plant seeds in the volume of four large spoons are poured with a glass of liquid.
- Bring to a boil in an enamel bowl.
- Warm up over low heat for another two minutes.
- Remove from stove and cool slightly open.
After the rising steam ceases to be scalding, you will need to bend over the cilantro broth and inhale its aroma for seven minutes. Inhalation is good not only for headaches, but also for nasal congestion.
Slimming cilantro greens
The beneficial properties of cilantro can be used for dietary purposes. The seasoning contains many organic acids, which are responsible for the normalization of fat metabolism. Coriander helps break down deposits, removes toxins from the intestines and helps get rid of edema. All this contributes to the elimination of excess weight.
For weight loss, it is enough to simply include cilantro in your daily diet and consume 5 g of seeds and 50 g of plant greens at the same time with food. Additionally, it is necessary to give up sweet, fried and fatty foods.
The use of coriander in cosmetology
The useful properties of cilantro for the human body are appreciated by home cosmetology. The plant is used for hair and face skin care. Coriander helps to fight inflammation and rashes, strengthens the follicles of curls, normalizes the color and elasticity of the epidermis. Masks based on it are especially useful when the first signs of aging appear.
When the first wrinkles and sagging skin appear, you can use a toner based on fresh coriander leaves. Make the tool like this:
- Grind 15 g of leaf plates of the plant.
- The raw material is poured with fresh boiling water in the volume of a glass.
- Leave to infuse for 20 minutes.
- Pass through cheesecloth.
With the resulting product, wipe the skin twice a day - in the morning and in the evenings. First, you need to cleanse your face of cosmetics and lightly steam the epidermis with hot water to open the pores.
It is necessary to use masks and tonics based on cilantro for the face at least twice a week.
Coriander relieves inflammation, helps clear acne and prevents acne from reoccurring. For rashes, home cosmetology recommends using a useful lotion:
- Cilantro is crushed in an amount of 5 g.
- Mix greens with lemon juice in equal volumes.
- Carefully distribute the composition over the problem areas of the face.
- Leave for five minutes.
When applying the product, avoid contact with the area around the eyes. Also, do not overexpose the lotion on the skin, as it can cause burns due to the high content of organic acids. Over time, the face is thoroughly washed with clean water and treated with a nourishing cream.
Mask for dry skin
Useful coriander in combination with fermented milk products helps to soften the skin and restore its softness and elasticity. A face mask is prepared as follows:
- Finely chop 15 g of fresh coriander greens.
- Put the raw materials in a blender and add an equal amount of natural yogurt.
- At high speed, the ingredients are interrupted into a homogeneous mass.
- Spread evenly over the skin of the face and leave for half an hour.
After the expiration date, the mask is washed off with water. Since the product does not contain oily components, it is not necessary to use soap.
The beneficial properties of cilantro help stop hair loss, strengthen hair roots and activate the development of dormant follicles. To rinse the curls, use the following tool:
- Mix 15 g of fresh coriander and peppermint.
- The ingredients are poured into 1 liter of boiling water and left under the lid for half an hour.
- Filter the finished infusion through cheesecloth.
The rinse is used after each hair wash. With regular use of the product, the curls will quickly get stronger, become more obedient and silky, acquire a pleasant shine and smoothness.
Attention! Cilantro rinse prevents early graying of hair and eliminates dandruff.
The pleasant aroma and beneficial properties of coriander seeds are appreciated in cooking. In the kitchen, the seasoning is used both fresh and dried to add to a variety of dishes. In particular, cilantro grains pair well:
- with soups;
- with meat and fish dishes;
- with side dishes;
- with salads;
- with puddings and syrups;
- with sauces.
Healthy coriander is found in many ready-made spices such as berber and curry. It is added to hot and cold drinks for an unusual flavor and aroma.
In small quantities, coriander seeds are added to baked goods, such as rye bread.
The beneficial properties of cilantro allow it to be used not only in the kitchen, but also in home medicine. The seasoning improves well-being and helps to cope with digestive and inflammatory ailments. It should be consumed in small quantities, an overdose leads to side effects.