We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Home-cooked hot smoked turkey is of great interest among lovers of smoked delicacies. This is a truly festive dish, it never loses its relevance. The product turns out to be incredibly tender, tasty, with a pleasant haze aroma. In addition, turkey meat is valued for a lot of useful qualities, it is not too fat and it is not for nothing that it is considered a dietary product. It is not difficult to cook a smoked turkey at home if you know the main points of the preparation of the carcass, the technology of hot and cold smoking.
Useful properties of the product
The high popularity of smoked turkey among people who look after their health and shape is due to its low calorie content and nutrient saturation. Poultry meat is rich in vitamins of group B, C, potassium, calcium, sodium, and it also contains phosphorus, iron, magnesium.
The use of B vitamins has a beneficial effect on the human nervous system, making it more resistant to stressful situations. Vitamin B12 is especially useful for the normal passage of the process of formation, development and maturation of leukocytes, erythrocytes, platelets. If there is a lack of it in the human body, then iron deficiency anemia appears.
Among the positive aspects of the use of vitamin C are noted:
- increasing the level of the body's resistance to diseases;
- improvement of general well-being;
- increased stress resistance;
- the process of cell renewal is better;
- collagen synthesis improves;
- vessels become more elastic.
When a sufficient amount of macro- and microelements enters the body, the bone skeleton becomes stronger, the heart rate normalizes, the balance of electrolytes in the blood comes to order, the degree of endurance and stress resistance increases.
Calorie content and BZHU
The calorie values in boiled turkey meat are 195 kcal per 100 g of product, and 104 kcal in smoked ones. Cold / Hot Cooked Turkey Contains:
- 16.66 g protein;
- 4.2 g fat;
- 0.06 g of carbohydrates.
Turkey meat contains an easily digestible protein, which is especially important for athletes
Considering such indicators of nutritional value, turkey meat can be safely attributed to the category of dietary products. Unlike chicken, which is prone to gout and urolithiasis, this product contains 2.5 times less purines. Due to the presence of arginine acid and the amino acid tryptophan in turkey, blood pressure normalizes, and problems with insomnia disappear.
Important! Of all parts of a turkey, its breast contains practically no fat, its impressive weight makes it possible to feed 4 adults, which is both healthy and inexpensive.
Rules and methods for smoking turkey
To obtain the expected effect - a tasty and aromatic turkey in a smokehouse, the following rules must be observed:
- use only fresh product;
- withstand time when marinating the carcass;
- use the "correct" sawdust;
- comply with the cooking time.
To make turkey meat a real smoked delicacy, you need to choose sawdust taken from pecan, hickory, walnut, mesquite wood.
If you need to achieve a mild flavor in a raw smoked turkey, it is better to use peach, grape, cherry, apple chips. There are amateurs who, before use, process apple sawdust with cider, and hickory chips are kept in bourbon. Alternatively, you can lay a few sprigs of mint on top.
The turkey is smoked at home using both cold and hot smoking. The difference between them is the cooking time of the product. The first method takes much longer to cook poultry meat than the second.
How to choose and prepare a smoked turkey
When choosing poultry meat, you should pay attention to the color. If the shade is pale pink, then the protein content is less, and the fat content is more, and in red meat, these indicators are the opposite. As for the skin of turkey meat, it should have an elastic and smooth structure, if it is slippery, this indicates a long shelf life, which should alert the buyer. When buying, it is worth pressing the meat with your finger, if the dent quickly straightened, disappeared, then this is a quality product.
Advice! The optimal weight of a turkey carcass is 5-10 kg, it is with such indicators that the meat has the best taste characteristics.
The process of cutting a carcass includes plucking, removing the entrails and the process of cutting the turkey meat into pieces. To get rid of feathers, you need to pour boiling water over the bird. After plucking, small feathers are easy to remove over the fire. It is not worth keeping a bird in a container with boiling water for a long hour, otherwise the skin will lose its elasticity.
The process of removing entrails, offal, begins with cutting out the tail and an incision in that place. Particular attention should be paid to the removal of pulmonary sacs, which outwardly resemble blood clots of a bright scarlet color. Cut the carcass into parts, separating the legs, wings, thighs. To prevent small fragments of bones from accidentally entering the human body, you need to cut the bird at the joint, and with a fairly well-sharpened knife. Suitable for smoking: breast, thighs, drumsticks, fillets, or you can cook the whole turkey carcass by hot or cold smoking.
How to pickle a smoked turkey
The salting algorithm is as follows:
- Wash and dry the turkey with a paper towel.
- Rub with salt and refrigerate for two days. Prepare a pickling mixture from: 80 g of salt, 15-20 g of sugar, 1.5 g of ascorbic acid. The carcass or its individual parts must be rubbed with this mixture again, placed in a suitable container with the skin down, where salt must first be poured onto the bottom. If desired, you can use bay leaves, black pepper.
- Place oppression on top, determine the workpiece in a cool place for two days. If the liquid does not cover the turkey meat within the time allotted for salting, then you need to prepare a brine from 1 liter of water, 200 g of salt, 20 g of sugar and 2.5 g of ascorbic acid. The carcass should stand for another 10 hours in this mixture.
Turkey marinade recipes before smoking
There are several recipes. Here's the first cooking method:
- In a container suitable for the volume, you need to boil water (8 l).
- Add salt and sugar (3 cups of each ingredient), a clove of garlic cut in half (50 g), black pepper (3 tablespoons), herbs (thyme, rosemary, lavender), 1 teaspoon each. When the brine has cooled to +5 degrees, place the turkey in it, and stand for at least 24 hours, turning over every 7-8 hours.
- At the end of the term, remove the workpiece from the brine, hang it in the fresh air so that the excess liquid is glass, the procedure takes 5-6 hours.
- Prepare a marinade from 4 liters of water, 200 g of salt, 100 g of sugar (brown), ¾ a glass of honey, 10 cloves of garlic, 4 tbsp. ground black pepper, 2 tbsp. ground red pepper, on the tip of a cinnamon knife, 1 tbsp. vegetable / olive oil. It is better to fry the garlic beforehand, and only then use it in the marinade.
- Place the turkey carcass in the brine and set in the refrigerator for two days.
How to smoke a turkey
There are different ways of smoking turkey meat, each with its own characteristics. To make poultry meat tender and fragrant, you must adhere to the instructions for preparing products using the hot / cold smoking method.
Hot smoked turkey recipes
At home, on gas, it will not work to smoke a large carcass, it is recommended to divide it into parts. Do not worry that the taste of the meat will deteriorate, the result will be the same as when cooking whole turkey meat.
How to smoke a turkey in a smokehouse
The algorithm for smoking poultry meat in an apartment is as follows:
- Rinse, marinate the turkey according to the specific recipe.
- Put the pieces of the carcass on a wire rack in the smokehouse, being careful not to touch each other. Place chips of fruit trees on the bottom, you can add mint. For the first 15 minutes, the smoker needs to be heated enough to produce smoke. After that, set the temperature to 90-100 degrees, wait 6-8 hours.
The internal temperature of poultry meat during cooking must be at least 75 degrees. It is believed that the workpiece must be boiled in salted water in advance until half cooked. When the smoking time is up, the turkey should be chilled and refrigerated for 4-6 hours.
Hot smoked turkey drumsticks
You can cook the drumsticks using the hot smoking method according to the following recipe:
- Wash and dry the legs, make several punctures for better penetration of the garlic “Maheev” marinade (170 g per 1.7 kg of raw material). It is enough to keep the meat in it for two hours.
- Place the pickled drumsticks on the grill of the smoker with apple chips at the bottom.
Smoking time is 1.5 hours.
How to smoke a hot smoked turkey thigh
The recipe for smoking turkey thighs in a smokehouse is as follows:
- The thighs need to be washed and dried.
- Rub with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Make a brine from 1 liter of water, 2 tbsp. salt, 1 tbsp. chopped parsley, 3 tbsp. red wine, and add 1 onion. The marinating time of the meat is one night.
- Smoke the thighs hot for 1-1.5 hours.
Recipe for smoking turkey fillet
Do-it-yourself turkey fillet smoking technology:
- Wash and dry poultry meat with a paper towel.
- Grate with seasonings, pour over soy sauce and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for two days.
- Place on a wire rack in the smoker and cook for 1 hour.
Smoking turkey breast
The algorithm for cooking turkey breast using the hot smoking method is as follows:
- Wash and dry the meat.
- Place in a container with brine from 1.5 liters of cold water, 2 tbsp. salt and 1 tbsp. sugar, and stand for 2 hours. Drain, drizzle with oil and sprinkle with black pepper.
- Put wood chips on the bottom of the smokehouse, place the meat on the wire rack, and cook at a temperature of 70 degrees for one hour.
Cooked smoked turkey recipe
The step-by-step cooking process is as follows:
- Make a brine with salt, bay leaf, pepper, and your favorite spices. Boil it for 5 minutes and let cool.
- Put chopped garlic in a suitable container on the bottom, then turkey meat, garlic again, and pour all the brine to cover.
- Put the container with the preparation and oppression in the refrigerator overnight, the next day, chop the meat with this liquid, and again place it in a cool place for 4 days. Take out, rinse and hang up to allow excess liquid to glass. Smoke in a smoking cabinet for 1.5-2 hours.
Smoking turkey at home in a slow cooker
- Salt and pepper the meat, grate with spices and let stand overnight in the refrigerator. Place a wire rack on the bottom of the bowl, blot the turkey meat with a paper towel and lay out. Cover with a lid, put a nozzle filled with chips.
- Cook on hot smoking mode at 110 degrees for 1.5 hours.
Cold smoking turkey in a smokehouse
To get turkey meat "with a bang", you must observe the following sequence of actions:
- Rub the raw materials with salt and place in a cool place for 4 hours.
- Prepare a marinade from 1 liter of broth, onion, pepper, parsley root, bay leaf, cloves, dill, cinnamon and sunflower oil (2 cups). Pour meat with hot broth, add 3 tbsp. vinegar, and leave for 5 hours. Then, in the open air, the workpiece should dry for about four hours.
- Place the raw product in the smokehouse, cook at 25 degrees for two to three days. When the time is up, the delicacy should be ventilated in the fresh air for up to four hours.
How long does it take to smoke a turkey
For cold smoking turkey cooking times can range from 24-72 hours. If poultry meat is made by hot smoking, then 2-7 hours is enough, everything will depend on the volume of raw materials, the whole carcass should be smoked for 5-7 hours, and individual parts can be ready in a couple of hours.
Carcasses can be laid out on the wire rack or hung on hooks. During the smoking process, there is no need to periodically turn the product, the smoke generated during heating is evenly distributed in the smoking chamber. When the cooking time is 6-7 hours, you still have to open the door a couple of times to remove the accumulated moisture.
You can store smoked delicacies in the refrigerator, having previously wrapped them in foil material, parchment, and placed in a plastic container. The shelf life is directly influenced by both the heat treatment method and the temperature regime:
- With the cold smoking method, the product can be stored for 10 days (-3 ... 0 degrees), 5 days (0 ... + 5 degrees), 2 days (0 ... + 7 degrees).
- With the hot method of smoking turkey meat does not lose its taste and does not deteriorate if kept at a temperature of -3 ... 0 degrees (5-7 days), 0 ... + 5 degrees (24 hours), 0 ... + 7 degrees (12 hours) ...
Not only a plastic container and foil are suitable for storing smoked meats, vacuum packaging is an excellent solution. In it, the product remains suitable for 10 days at a temperature of 0 ... + 3 degrees.
You can also store smoked delicacies in the freezer. In the case of vacuum packaging, the meat does not lose its freshness 3-4 times longer. Depending on the temperature regime, the turkey is stored:
- 3-4 months (-8 ... -10 degrees);
- 8 months (-10 ... -18 degrees);
- 1 year (-18 ... -24 degrees).
Simple rules will help you properly smoke and preserve meat.
Home-cooked hot-smoked turkey is in no way inferior to the ready-made store product. The delicacy has both a pleasant taste and aroma. The main thing is to use fresh raw materials, to be able to properly cut and pickle it. Sawdust is best used from fruit trees. You can enhance the taste by using a special coating, for example, with the addition of sugar, which is made in the last hour of cooking. You can store smoked meats in the refrigerator and in the freezer using foil, parchment or vacuum packaging.