Contrary to popular belief, caring for such a really beautiful coniferous plant as thuja is quite simple. It is only important to take care of the wintering of the plant, for which special preparations, for example, "Purshat-O", have long been developed and successfully tested.
Why winter is dangerous for thuja
As with many cultures, winter is a time when thuja is at particular risk. Moreover, it is associated not only with negative temperatures, but also with a strong cold wind and even specific winter burns. If you do not take measures to protect the tree, after the winter its needles turn yellow and you can often see lying broken branches that especially damage the appearance.
Snow and ice wind
Along with the negative temperature effect on the thaw, these factors affect the tree purely mechanically - due to the large mass of snow, as well as as a result of strong winds, the branches begin to bend, freeze and quickly break.
Therefore, wrapping a tree in a fabric is very important, especially when it comes to young cultures. They should also be tied to pegs driven into the ground at the same distance from the trunk.
Damage to conifers by rodents
Another harmful factor is the activity of rodents. The thuja most often suffers from the common vole and ground squirrels. Damage to the bark not only spoils the appearance of the plant, but also negatively affects its stability in the winter.
Therefore, protecting the culture from such influences is also extremely important. To do this, traps are used, and dry walnut leaves, herring heads, animal hair and burdock flowers are placed in animal holes. The trunk of the thuja itself should be additionally wrapped with nylon stockings.
Coniferous sunburn in winter
Burns from sunlight can appear not only in the summer. In winter, the sun itself warms very slightly, but its rays are well reflected from the white surface of the snow. As a result, excess radiation enters the plants, and due to the small surface area of the needles, the green dries quickly.
That is why sheltering needles with natural fabrics that have sufficient light impermeability is one of the prerequisites for arborvitae in the winter. But it can be excluded if the drug "Purshat-O" is used.
Why thuja turns yellow
If the thuja yellow parts, this is normalas the branches develop, age, lose green pigments and die, giving way to new ones. In this case, they are simply cut enough to speed up the process.
However, when a large number of needles turn yellow at the same time, this is the result of sunburn and the drying of greenery. And this can happen both in summer and in winter.
How to prepare thuja for winter
Avoiding the effects of these negative factors is quite realistic and not as difficult as it might seem at first glance. There are several reliable ways to prepare the plant for the winter period, which have already been verified by many years of experience as amateur gardeners and professionals:
- First of all, in the fall, all old, dried, yellowed branches should be cut. To do this, take garden or ordinary well-sharpened scissors. It is best to pre-treat them in potassium permanganate or boiling water so as not to bring bacteria into the plant.
- Stimulants are used to protect the roots. (root) according to the instructions - you need to have time to do the procedure before the first frost.
- During the fall, the tree can be watered especially generously, increasing the usual norms by 1.5-2 times, since dry earth freezes much faster and deeper moist. An important point - abundant watering can be done after most of the needles are showered from the tree.
- Young plants, which are no more than 3-5 years old, should be tied up for protection against wind. To do this, pegs are driven into the ground, and strong threads are attached at the level of the lower third of the tree.
- Mulching around the trunk - This is also a mandatory measure, because otherwise the roots run the risk of freezing severely. Used fallen needles themselves, as well as peat, leaves, bark.
- Finally, young trees must be covered with bags linen paintings and other materials that allow good air permeability. The tree is wrapped around in 2-3 layers and tied with a strong rope.
Compliance with these simple rules, along with the use of special tools, practically guarantees that the thuja maintains a beautiful appearance, as well as the normal growth of the tree in the warm period.
Varieties of thuja
Methods of resuscitation of conifers after winter
Very often, with insufficient care for thuja after winter, yellowing of needles is observed, branches die off. Often, summer residents simply throw away the plant. but in most cases the tree can be restored. For this, methods familiar to everyone are used - top dressing, mulching, pruning of the affected branches.
Immediately after wintering, the soil around the affected plant must be well loosened.. Next, a mullein solution is introduced, which is bought ready-made and used according to the instructions. If the infusion is made independently, then 1 part of dry raw material is taken in 9 parts of water. Thus, on a standard 10-liter bucket, you can take from 0.5 to 1 liter of solution.
Water must be used necessarily warm (hands should be comfortable). 4-5 liters are poured under each young tree and 2 times more - under more adult arborvitae.
This is a reliable, proven method that is applied immediately after fertilizer. The composition of the mulch is arbitrary, but it is better if coniferous litter is present in it:
- dry needles;
- crushed bark;
- crushed peat.
The ratio of the components is approximately the same, and the needles can be taken 2 times more. Mulch is traditionally laid out around the trunk at a distance of 30-40 cm.
A mandatory measure of resuscitation of a plant is pruningthat have dried, cracked and turned yellow - i.e. have clear signs of dying off. The procedure is done with ordinary or well-sharpened garden shears, which are pre-disinfected in boiling water or any antiseptic.
Use of drugs
And the most effective measure of resuscitation of a thuja is the use of special drugs that help restore growth, and also protect the tree from sunburn and moisture loss. The choice of funds is wide enough, but not well proven among summer residents - a little. One such drug is a remedy. Purshat-O, which you can learn more about in the next section.
If the thuja was wrapped in linen burlap for the winter, you should not release it immediately. You need to wait until a positive temperature is established on the street (daily), and in the first 2 weeks create a slight shading - otherwise the spring rays can burn needles.
Resuscitation of coniferous plants with Pursat-O
Means Purshat-O is the best way to protect plants, because its use allows year-round care of the crop, even with prolonged absence in the country. A distinctive feature of the drug is the presence in its composition of only chemicals safe for plants and humans, which contribute to the retention of moisture in the stem, roots and green part.
Description of the product Pursat-O
The drug is a solution that consists of the following components:
- calcium carbonate and silicon dioxide;
- purified water;
- water-retaining substances (wax emulsion);
- full replaced by mechanical plant shelter;
- reflection of almost all (up to 90%) of ultraviolet and infrared radiation, which harms the plant and overheats it;
- sunburn prevention;
- a significant reduction in water loss by the plant;
- increased adaptation after transplantation;
- help the plant recover from a burn.
Due to this complex effect, the wax emulsion, which is part of Parshat-O, allows the plant to feel good during prolonged watering due to drought and lack of host. Watering intervals can be reduced by 1.5-2 times. In addition, the foliage does not overheat in the sun, so the plant is not exposed to heat stress.
Along with summer, there is the concept of winter physiological drought: a plant loses moisture during a long cold period for natural reasons, which does not allow it to begin rapid growth in spring. Therefore, water retention in tissues using a wax emulsion is a very simple and at the same time reliable way to solve the problem.
Why does thuja turn yellow
Instructions for use of the drug Purshat-O
The Purshat-O remedy is universal in its action - it is used not only for the care of coniferous trees, but also for seedlings, seedlings, decorative and fruit trees, shrubs. The processing mode depends on the specific culture (for more details, see the table). BUT the preparation for work itself is the same in all cases:
- The solution in the vial should be mixed well for 1-2 minutes.
- A standard bucket (10 liter) is taken, 300 to 500 ml of the stock solution is added.
- The whole mixture is thoroughly mixed. The result is a 3-5% solution (depending on the amount of the drug).
Important! Always pay attention to the consistency of the solution - it should not flow freely from the foliage. The main task is to keep the liquid on the surface.
The processing rules are as follows:
- The most suitable time is in the afternoon.
- If possible, the weather should be dry and calm (during rains, processing will not have a significant effect).
- The best way to work is to use a sprayer. If carried out by sprinkling (simple spraying with large drops), the results will be significantly worse.
- During processing, the solution must be constantly mixed - then the substance will retain the optimal consistency and cover the foliage reliably.
- The result of the work should be the complete drying of the drug on the green part of the plant. After that, a decision is made whether to conduct secondary processing.
Features of spraying specific crops are presented in the table.
group of cultures
beneficial effect for plants
quantity and processing time
protection against sunburn (winter and spring), heat stress
1-2 times in October or November (optimum temperature 0aboutC), if necessary, in February-March, before and after transplantation of large trees, as well as during summer drought
seedlings and any seedlings
quick adaptation of the plant after transplantation, maintaining a healthy appearance
treatment before and after planting in open ground, you can repeat the procedure 3 weeks after planting; optimally combine processing with fertilizers
ornamental trees and shrubs
optimal protection against prolonged drought, sunburn; as a result, plants bloom more and can be watered less often
the first procedure - 5-10 days before the expected drought, then - every 3-4 weeks, as well as necessary;
if the plants are transplanted from the greenhouse to the open ground, they are treated before and immediately after transplantation.
fruit trees (including grapes)
return frost protection
end of April and autumn - 1 treatment each
Mix Pursat-O solution with any other plant care products (fertilizers, pesticides, soil improvers, etc.) is possible only after a positive experiment. If the product in a mixture with other substances does not harm plants, it can be used. Without preliminary testing, taking risks is undesirable.
The product is a low-hazard substance (according to the accepted classification, it belongs to hazard class 4). Nevertheless, When working with the drug, you need to take into account several simple rules that guarantee safety for the body:
- The most important thing is to avoid getting drops, water dust in the eyes. The container with the substance should be kept on an outstretched hand from the face.
- It is undesirable to inhale water dust, which may be formed during spraying (for this you can use a respirator or a regular medical mask).
- Finally, care must be taken that the solution does not get on exposed skin.
In case of accidental contact of the solution with different parts of the body, you need to perform several simple steps:
- If the product still gets into your eyes, you must immediately stop work and rinse them under a large stream of cold water for 15 minutes.
- If the solution gets on your hand or other part of the skin, you can just wash it with soap and rinse the body thoroughly.
- In case of inhalation of water dust from the solution, you can simply go outside and breathe fresh air for several minutes.
- Finally, if accidentally swallowed, consult a doctor.
However, according to many years of experience using the solution, extreme health effects have never been observed.
Technology and terms of proper landing of thuja
The best time for planting a plant is spring, because if a tree is planted in autumn, its survival rate will decrease by 10-15%. Landing technology is simple:
- First of all, you need to choose the right place. For thuja, places with shading are optimal, as well as closed to constant winds. From this description, it is easy to guess that planting along the walls of a country house or other structure would be the right choice - in addition, such an arrangement of trees makes it possible to design a house well.
- You can make a single or double row landing. The intervals between the trees should be respectively 1 and 2 meters. If we are talking about large varieties, a minimum of 4-5 meters.
- The landing pit is dug up twice as deep as the root, and in volume 3 times more than the root lump. It is important to leave the root neck on the surface (not in the ground).
- After digging into the ground, 2 parts of leaf and 2 parts of turf land are introduced, as well as 1 part of sand and peat. You can add nitroammofox (0.5 kg).
The use of the drug Pursat-O
Immediately after planting, trees need to be watered well.
There are very few plants that will become the original decoration of the garden with any design and concept. Thuja is an excellent example of a coniferous tree with soft, juicy greens, which not only looks good on its own, but also well emphasizes the dignity of other plants.