To date, canopies made of polycarbonate are especially popular. Translucent visors, original arbors and spacious pavilions look very harmonious and attractive, perfectly fitting into almost any architectural ensemble.
Buildings made of colored polymer can decorate and complement the courtyards of many plots. Owners of private houses and cottages are increasingly choosing polycarbonate for the construction of canopies with their own hands, creating truly picturesque structures.
Transparent and semi-gloss constructions made of modern polymer-based material not only perfectly cope with their direct purpose, but also turn into spectacular decorations on the patio, house area and even the playground.
Polycarbonate - is a solid and durable polymer plastic. It is widely used for the production of computer parts, lenses, CDs, and now for construction. There are two types:
- Cellular polycarbonate - consists of several thin plates that are interconnected using jumpers. In a cross section of the sheet, you can see that it is divided into cells. They contain air bubbles that give the material good thermal insulation qualities.
- Monolithic polycarbonate - as you might guess from the name, is a continuous and solid sheet of polymer material, without any cells and voids. Conventional glass can be replaced with such a versatile building material, since it has a high light transmittance.
Among the advantages of polycarbonate are the following points:
- Affordable price. Among materials such as glass, wood and metal, polycarbonate stands out for its low cost.
- A light weight. Cellular polycarbonate is 16 times lighter than glass; this feature provides ease of installation of structures made of this material.
- Fire safety. It is not flammable and does not contribute to the spread of fire.
- High resistance to sudden changes in temperature. This polymer is well tolerated in the range from 40 degrees below zero to 120 degrees heat.
- Durability and reliability. A canopy of this material, made in accordance with all the rules and requirements, can last for more than one decade.
- Plasticity and flexibility. You can create designs of various shapes and styles.
- A wide range of different colors. Today, you can purchase polycarbonate of any color, which makes it possible to use this material in the design of any building.
- Easy to care. To save canopies from dirt and dust, you do not need to purchase any expensive detergents. They are well cleaned with ordinary water and soap.
Not surprisingly, with so many benefits, polycarbonate quickly caught on among other materials for the construction of awnings.
Types of Canopies
Most often, polycarbonate is chosen for the construction of canopies of various shapes and types. Consider for what purposes most often use such material.
Visor above the entrance. A polycarbonate canopy adjacent to the house will protect the porch from snow, rain and other adverse climatic conditions.
It can be attached directly to the building using special suspensions or mounted on additional supports. As a frame for a visor, aluminum, steel, and even wood are usually used.
They look very beautiful and unusual forged frame canopies. Using complex geometric shapes or floral motifs in forged structural elements, you can give the visor a luxurious and sophisticated look. This design is usually used for classic private houses and ancient buildings.
Canopies over the exit made of polycarbonate are able not only to fulfill their main purpose well, but also harmoniously complement the interior, and in some cases even become its highlight. A visor of bright, unusual color can completely change the visual perception of the appearance of any building. Due to the wide range of different colors, it is possible to choose the material of the perfect shade.
When designing such a design, the number of cars and their dimensions should be taken into account in the first place. Also, before the construction of the canopy, you need to choose a suitable place on the site, which you can drive to without problems. The advantages of creating a do-it-yourself polycarbonate carport-garage are quite obvious:
- Saving money on the construction of a full garage.
- Convenience. If you urgently need to leave, you do not need to leave the garage.
- The design can be done more than required, then guests' cars can easily fit under it.
- Car repair and washing is much more pleasant and more convenient to do in the open air than in a stuffy room.
- The original and unusual form of the canopy can significantly change the overall visual perception of the building.
- You can make several canopies made in the same color and style.
- A large canopy will accommodate the cars of all family members.
- From this material, you can make an unusual canopy like a pergola, consisting of several arched sections.
DIY polycarbonate carport will save money and time, because even a novice master can build such a design.
Quite often, the reason for installing a polycarbonate canopy to or near the house is the creation of a terrace, porch or gazebo for a summer vacation.
It can be located at the side of the building or directly in front of the main entrance. The high fire safety of this polymer allows you to place various furniture, a smokehouse and barbecue in such a gazebo.
A variety of colors will make perfect designable to satisfy even exquisite taste. Under a completely transparent roof, it is especially pleasant to relax during the summer rain. Drops of water flowing over the surface are a pretty beautiful sight. Matte coating will provide protection from direct sunlight and ultraviolet radiation. A bright polycarbonate will create an unusual effect of color lighting.
Peak of a balcony. If you fix a transparent canopy and walls on the balcony, you can build a real greenhouse, which will please the eye all year round and will become the main decoration of your home.
We build a canopy with our own hands
All standard options for canopies can be performed in any shape and size. So the roof can take the form of an arch made of polycarbonate or a flat slope (gable or look one way).
Roof size calculated individually and depends on the purpose of the canopy. The choice of color depends on the desired design, and the choice of material depends on its cost and characteristics.
For the construction of canopies in suburban areas most often use cellular polycarbonate. Such panels have excellent quality characteristics and high strength, as they consist of several plastic layers interconnected by vertical rigid ribs. Among other things, honeycomb panels have a rather aesthetic and decorative appearance, are easy to install and bend perfectly, which allows them to be arched.
Due to its special structure, polycarbonate perfectly protects from the negative effects of direct sunlight and ultraviolet radiation. Selecting material for the construction of your canopy, first of all be guided by type and purpose future designs.
Proper calculation of the required number of panels will avoid unnecessary costs. It is worth remembering that for the installation of very thin sheets, a fairly frequent crate step will be required, but at the same time, installing thick and durable sheets will also entail additional costs.
Therefore, when choosing polycarbonate, it is important to consider the thickness of the material:
- four millimeter panels are used for the construction of greenhouses and greenhouses;
- sheets with a thickness of 6-8 mm are used for the construction of awnings, roofs, partitions and peaks;
- noise barriers used for the construction of vertical walls are made of panels 10 mm thick;
- for the roof of large rooms it is recommended to use the thickest 16 mm sheets, they are characterized by increased strength and wear resistance.
Cellular Polycarbonate Presented in various shades, which allows you to choose the most suitable option for arranging a specific building.
After choosing the material and location of the structure, you should begin to develop a project. It will help not only to avoid deformation during operation, but also allow you to calculate the required number of panels for construction.
When creating a drawing, you should pay attention to the climatic conditions of the area and take into account the loadthat other external factors can create. The design of the aboveground and the main part of the structure involves a preliminary measurement of the site.
Based on these calculations, a wireframe plan is created. taking into account the transverse and longitudinal steps. So, for the installation of panels with a thickness of less than 8 millimeters, a step of 600-700 mm will be sufficient. But the arrangement of heavier sheets will require longitudinal steps of 700 mm in size, and transverse - up to 1 meter.
Install the frame
- We fix vertical support racks to embedded parts.
- If the frame is built of metal parts, the upper strapping around the perimeter and racks should be done with a welding machine.
- Using vertical struts, we fasten the transverse parts of the frame to the supporting beams.
- We clean, primer and paint all the seams from welding.
We lay polycarbonate panels
Reliability and durability of the structure directly depends on the quality of installation. To lay the panels you will need the following tools: drill; a circular saw; screwdriver, construction knife.
Panel cutting work should only be done. on a flat, stable and solid surface. Thin sheets up to 8 mm are cut with a construction knife, thick - with a circular saw, the disks of which must have undiluted teeth.
Cutting panels perform taking into account the location of the air channels. They should correspond to the direction of the slope and bend.
To bend the plastic sheet in an arc, attach a profile along the channel line, make small cuts in it and bend it, giving the polycarbonate the desired shape. Then, lay it on the frame and fix it with self-tapping screws and thermowells with a diameter of 30 millimeters.
When attaching the panels to the frame, follow the following algorithm:
- Drill holes for fastening between the stiffeners. They should be larger than the diameter of the screws by 2-3 mm and be located 30 centimeters from each other.
- When fixing the sheets to the frame, do not tighten the screws and thermowells too tight, otherwise you may break openings in the plastic panels.
- Fasten the panels together using H-shaped profiles, driving the edges of the sheets 20 mm under them, while leaving small gaps. Thus, with temperature differences, the sheets can move a little, without harming the entire structure.
- Cover the open ends and cut with special aluminum plates or perforated tapes with microfilters, then coat with sealant. This treatment will protect the empty cavity of the sheets from dust, insects, debris and condensation.
Your canopy is ready. Such a design It does not require special care, all debris and dirt can be removed from the cover with plain water.
Based on these instructions, you can build nice and comfortable gazebo, which will become the main decoration of your garden. A properly constructed structure will delight you with its appearance for a long time and protect you from wind, rain, sun.